As part of the hydraulic reforms of the 18th century, the Fountain of the Plaza’s construction was completed in 1785, under the reign of Carlos III.
It is the completion of a work which, throughout the 18th century, was completed to channel the water from the springs and wells located in Puerto de Viñas and bring it to the centre of the village; work that is also responsible for the Fountain of La Arquita, the centre of water distribution for two kilometres to the Plaza de España.
In addition to the construction of this work, Casares began, at the end of the 18th century and the beginning of the 19th century, to form a series of improvements in the public network, in relation to the supply and sewers of residual water which is preserved to this day.
The fountain in the Plaza, in a Neoclassical style, consists of three bodies and in its interior the ceramic wineskin that distributes water to the four pipes is preserved. Its external exit is made possible by four taps which lead to four basins of the same material as the entire work.
The lower body and the central one are composed of rocks cut from sandstone which form four volutes and four bulls. The last part is composed of four slabs of the same rock finished off by four pineapples over mouldings and a spherical hood finished off by a forecastle of the same material.
Today, and although various reforms have been carried out, the fountain maintains its original appearance and structures and continues to provide fresh water from the mountains.